Modified bitumen roofing is one of the most common low-slope roofing systems. Despite the availability of single-ply materials such as EPDM and TPO, modified bitumen remains the ideal choice for certain low-slope building applications.
What is Modified Bitumen Roofing?
Modified bitumen is a modern take on built-up roofing, a traditional material also known as “tar-and-gravel” roofs. Modified bitumen roofs afford the same levels of protection as built-up roofs. Despite its similarities to EPDM – in fact, the term “rubber roof” has been used interchangeably for both roof types = modified bitumen is entirely different: EPDM is made from recycled rubber, while modified bitumen is made from asphalt.
The advantages of Modified Bitumen Roofing:
- It’s tear resistant – The main advantage modified bitumen roofing has over commercial roofing systems is that it’s extremely tear-resistant. Thanks to the combination of fiberglass and/or polyester reinforcement layers This feature makes modified bitumen roofing the ideal choice for low-slop.
- It’s waterproof – Bitumen is inherently waterproof, and several layers of it on a properly-installed roof makes modified bitumen roofs the most waterproof commercial roofing choice available.
- It’s energy-efficient – The top layer can be treated to add “cool roof” features such as solar reflectance and thermal emission, or the ability to reflect sunlight, and release already-absorbed heat, respectively This helps reduce you property’s indoor cooling requirement, resulting in lower energy consumption.
- It’s flexible – Flexible low-slope roofing materials are important not just for impact resistance, but also for temperature shifts. Modified bitumen expands and contracts with our losing its shape.
- It’s easy to repair and maintain – In case the roof does tear, repair can be done quickly and efficiently through bitumen patches. Most instances of low-slope roofing failures occurs at the seals and flashing, but with professional installation and regular roof maintenance, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Don’t wait until it’s too late, Fix your roof today!
Save your roof from tomorrow…